This Privacy Statement has been prepared by the following companies in the Cover-More Group (Cover-More or Us):
- Cover-More Travel Insurance Pty Ltd ABN 95 003 114 145
- Travel Insurance Partners Pty Limited ABN 73 144 049 230
- Customer Care Pty Ltd ABN 80 079 071 579
Cover-More is committed to protecting your privacy as required under the Privacy Act 1988(Cth). This privacy statement describes how Cover-More collects, uses and discloses your Personal Information.
This Statement also confirms Cover-More's obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (including the National Privacy Principles (NPPs). Our aim is to ensure we both support and comply with these principles. Further information on privacy in Australia and the NPPs may be obtained by visiting the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at http://www.oaic.gov.au.
As a financial services organisation we are subject to certain legislative and regulatory requirements which require us to obtain Personal Information about you, including the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). Personal Information will be treated as confidential information.
Why do we collect Personal Information?
Cover-More is required to collect your Personal Information to provide you with insurance products, medical assistance and care, and ancillary telecommunication services and products. Cover-More does not trade, rent or sell information to third parties, nor uses your Personal Information for any reason other than its intended use. We will only collect necessary Personal Information. If you choose not to provide the information we request, we may not be able to provide you with the products and/or services you are seeking.
What Personal Information do we collect?
We may collect information which identifies you personally ("Personal Information") such as your name, date of birth, gender, physical address, email address, telephone number, bank account and credit card details, driver's licence number, phone account details and employment history. We may also collect sensitive Personal Information about you from time to time with your consent, depending on the products and services you are seeking from us. This information may include information about a disability, or medical condition that you have, or health information in general.
Collection of other information
Cover-More may also collect non-personally identifiable information such as the type of browser, or operating system you use, your domain name, IP address, access times, referring website addresses and pageviews. Our Internet Service Provider ("ISP") automatically identifies your computer by its IP address. When you visit pages on our website, our ISP may log your IP address. We do not link IP addresses to any personally identifiable information. Your IP address is used to gather broad demographic information only. A User Transaction ID is created each time you enter our website. This ID is used to keep track of your dealings with us, and other requests.
How do we collect Personal Information?
We collect Personal Information in a number of ways, including:
- When you complete a Cover-More application for insurance, Global Sim account activation, service enquiry form, or similar document;
- From Cover-More's partners, associates or other companies in the Cover-More group;
- From third party companies like medical service providers (such as hospitals and doctors) credit reporting agencies, law enforcement agencies and other government entities;
- From publicly available sources of information like market research providers;
- When you visit our website, Facebook page and other pages that we own and manage;
- During telephone calls made when you contact Cover-More. These calls may be recorded for training, quality and business purposes; and
- Information about your usage of the Global Sim card (including location-based information);
We may also collect information by other means and will take all reasonable steps to inform you if and when we do.
How is your Personal Information used?
We will only use your information for the purposes you would reasonably expect. The Personal Information we collect may be used for a number of purposes related to providing you with the products and services you are seeking, including:
- Arranging and managing your travel insurance with us;
- Evaluating, managing and processing an insurance claim;
- Evaluating the emergency care and assistance you require and other customer care activities;
- Processing orders or applications to become a customer for our ancillary products and services;
- Carrying out credit checks and credit reporting;
- Generating bills, managing your account and carrying out debt-recovery functions;
- Dealing with enquiries or complaints;
- Carrying out market analysis and product analysis and development;
- Enhancing our services for our website visitors;
- Contacting you about our products and services and those offered under other brands that our associates, partners, providers or group owns – which may include marketing these products to you;
- Conducting internal investigations in relation to crime and fraud prevention, detection or prosecution;
- Training our staff; and
- For any other purposes that would be reasonably expected.
For other purposes, Cover-More will obtain your consent to use your Personal Information. Cover-More will not use or disclose any of your Personal Information except as described in this Privacy Statement or where we are authorised or required by law.
How to opt-out of marketing materials
From time to time, Cover-More may use your Personal Information to send you information regarding our various products, services and any offers which we may be promoting or special announcements which we think may be of interest to you. These communications are typically made via email, telephone, SMS, or post.
If you would rather not receive communications about our products and services, you can opt out by contacting us at email@example.com or by calling 1300 72 88 22. For Cover-More Global SIM, just contact *500# from your Cover-More Global SIM or 1300 410 130 from any other phone.
If you receive the unwanted communication via email, you can select the 'opt out' option at the bottom of the email and follow any prompts to remove your name from the mailing list. Please note we will still need to send you essential information about your insurance, your account, and/or changes to your service or plan.
To whom do we provide your Personal Information?
Cover-More may disclose your Personal Information both within and outside Australia to:
- Emergency assistance providers, health professionals, travel service providers, repairers and suppliers to respond to medical and other events covered by your insurance policy;
- Family members in the event of medical emergency;
- Customer survey businesses, so we may measure and improve our services;
- The co-insured on any insurance policy, so we may confirm details of the insurance;
- Assessors, investigators, witnesses, medical practitioners and professional advisers to investigate or assess any insurance claim you may make to us;
- Record management and storage businesses, so we may retain records necessary for our business purposes;
- Trusted partners to perform statistical analysis;
- Credit providers or credit reporting agencies for the purposes permitted under the Privacy Act and credit reporting legislation;
- Our service and content providers, dealers and agents, contractors and advisers;
- Our professional advisors including lawyers, accountants, tax advisors and auditors;
- Debt collection agencies and other parties that assist with debt-recovery functions;
- Law enforcement bodies to assist in their functions, Courts of Law or as otherwise required or authorised by law;
- Regulatory or government bodies for the purposes of resolving customer complaints or disputes both internally and externally or to comply with any investigation by one of those bodies;
- Other telecommunications services providers for the purpose of mobile number portability issues; and
- Any other person or for any other purposes that would be reasonably expected.
We are required by law to disclose certain Personal Information about our Global Sim customers (including their name, address and telephone number) to the operator of the Integrated Public Number Database (IPND). Personal Information in the IPND is used to assist emergency services and safeguard national security. If you consent, information from the IPND may also be published in public directories or used by directory assistance.
Keeping your Personal Information up to date
We are obliged by the NPPs to take reasonable measures to ensure that the Personal Information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of your information is largely dependent on what you provide to us. To ensure that we have your most current and accurate Personal Information, please contact us when your information changes (e.g. if you change your name or move house).
If you think your Personal Information may be inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, you can request it to be updated, or update it yourself by logging in to your account.
The security of your Personal Information is given a high priority. We take all reasonable steps to securely store your Personal Information so that it is protected from unauthorised use, access, modification or disclosure. This includes both physical and electronic security measures.
It is a legal requirement that, in some circumstances, we keep records of your Personal Information for a period of 7 years. If this is required, we will maintain this Personal Information on or off site in a secure manner for 7 years. After this, your Personal Information will be destroyed or de-identified.
All such third parties are prohibited from using your Personal Information except to provide these services and they are required to maintain the confidentiality of your information.
If we propose to sell the business, we may disclose your Personal Information to potential purchasers for their due diligence investigations. Disclosure will be made in confidence and it will be a condition of that arrangement that no Personal Information will be used or disclosed by them.
Cover-More has security measures in place to provide protection against the loss, misuse and alteration of your Personal Information. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your Personal Information, Cover-More cannot warrant or ensure the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
When you give Personal Information to Cover-More, that information may be sent electronically to servers outside of the country where you originally entered that information. In addition, the information may be used, stored and processed outside of the country where you entered that information.
Protecting your Global Sim account from unauthorised access
Anyone who knows your account PIN or online username and password can access your account. You must keep your PIN, username and password secure and only share these details with people you authorise to access and manage your Cover-More account. Cover-More accepts no responsibility for information disclosed to parties who know your PIN, username or password.
You are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of passwords which may be issued to you and/or any account information. Please be careful and responsible in all of your online dealings.
Accessing your Personal Information
You can request access to your Personal Information in most cases without restriction or charge. If charges are applicable for providing access we will disclose these charges to you prior to providing you with the information. We will provide you with access to your Personal Information unless we are legally authorised to refuse your request which we will explain in writing. To request your Personal Information, please contact us at the address below. Access to the requested information may include providing you with copies, providing you with the opportunity for inspection or providing you with a summary.
OTHER INFORMATION WE COLLECT
A cookie is a small data file that certain websites write to your hard drive when you visit them. A cookie file can contain information such as a user ID that the site uses to track the pages you've visited. But the only Personal Information a cookie can contain is information you supply yourself.
Reporting a breach of your privacy
If you believe your privacy has been compromised, contact us in writing. You can email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at: Cover-More Travel Insurance, Private Bag 913,
North Sydney NSW 2059
If the breach relates to Cover-More Global SIM you can email us at: email@example.com or write to us at: Cover-More Global SIM, Private Bag 913,North Sydney NSW 2059
A member of our Privacy team will contact you within 10 business days.
You may also lodge complaints around privacy breaches with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by calling them on 1300 363 992 or by emailing them at : firstname.lastname@example.org.
For any other questions regarding privacy, please contact our customer service team on 1300 72 88 22 or for Cover-More Global SIM you can dial *500# from your Cover-More mobile or 1300 410 130 from any phone.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement was prepared in December 2012. We may amend this Privacy Statement from time to time by posting the amended version on our website. We suggest that you visit our website regularly to keep up to date with any changes.